Creating a peaceful, productive environment begins by accentuating the positive. With increasing problems in violence, bullying and harassment, there is a tendency to focus on the negative rather than building a positive environment. Organizations recognize the high costs of negative drains: Confrontation, Conflict, Harassment, Bullying, Abuse, Intimidation, and Workplace Violence. These negatives lie along a continuum from bad to worse. The best answer is an emotionally intelligent workplace that cultivates both productivity and a high quality of work life. This is not only the right answer, it is the most productive, safest, and most cost effective.
- Abusing (emotional, verbal and physical)
Negative environments begin with negative thoughts and feelings. Emotions are part of working with people. If poor mindsets are ignored, acceptable or cultivated they will grow and become serious issues. Leadership, teamwork and creating positive structures fills the vacuum and doesn’t allow these room to grow. Leaders, supervisors, peers and subordinates all need to commit to a positive environment. Too frequently, platitudes serve instead of real buy-in. When power and control are abused at higher levels, it is impossible to nurture effectiveness throughout the organization.
Emotionally intelligent organizations understand that it’s all personal. Individuals tend to be treated with respect and dignity but when they’re seen as objects, the interpersonal connection breaks. The basic rules for positive, healthy, high performing teams are as follows:
- Build positive feelings into the climate and culture: Create a work environment that is engaging and fun. Emphasize constructive feelings through enthusiasm and a focus on enjoying performance excellence.
- Communicate constructively and openly: Set the tone for continuing dialogue. Be proactive and avoid letting hostilities and negative emotions to develop and fester. Maintain an active social awareness through active listening.
- Create a team mentality: When sharing and mutual positive regard is the standard, a family-like environment prevails. Genuine care and concern for others promotes success.
- Appreciate, value and respect everyone: Individuals are important. When this is demonstrated and communicated, it promotes constructive feelings, thinking, communication and behavior.
- Have systems of accountability and personal responsibility: Be sure everyone learns personal discipline and control. They need to assume responsibility and be accountable to the team for their part creating a positive work environment. Safety and security are minimal requirements for peak performance.
- Set availability for dialogue and feedback: Regular communication creates vigilance, attention and an ongoing awareness. It is important not only to be open to information and concerns but to actively solicit feedback.
- Be sensitive to change and nonverbal signals: Not all communication is direct. Many informal, nonverbal channels carry critical data. Subtle shifts in climate lead to major cultural derailment. Recognize nuances.
- Be empathetic and supportive of feelings: Recognition, understanding and resonance show care and concern. Dismissing, distorting or minimizing feelings devalues people and negatively impacts self-esteem. Emotional information is valid and meaningful.
- Cultivate emotional intelligence: Supporting emotional intelligence generates stronger individuals, leaders, teams and organizations. Active development of individual and social awareness, as well as self-management and positive relationships creates high levels of energy and productivity.
- Establish appropriate professional boundaries: Certain speech and behaviors simply are not appropriate in a healthy, positive environment. These need to be eliminated before they become tolerated. Modeling, handbooks and both formal and informal leadership set these limits.
- Encourage assertiveness: Timidity and aggression are counterproductive. Assertiveness projects healthy self-esteem and reasonable self-assurance.
Have you applied positive emotions for real gains in productivity and quality? Are you generating a positive, peak performance environment? The negatives have become more of a concern. They are far more dangerous and costly. It is essential to promote a positive, emotionally intelligent climate.
Success Dynamics International offers a comprehensive, integrated learning system to optimize emotional intelligence at all levels:
- The Empathy Principle
- EIQ-2 Emotional Intelligence
- EIQ-2I Emotionally Intelligent Influence/Persuasion
- EIQ-2L Emotionally Intelligent Leadership
- TmEIQ-10 Emotionally Intelligent Teamwork
- ESO Emotionally Smart Organizations and
- EIQ-2CRM Emotionally Intelligent Customer Service and Relations
For a free coaching/consulting session call 863 420 1929 or email email@example.com